This is a notice to let you know that, when we finally open to the public, we will be observing Ontario’s public health regulations related to the pandemic that are in place at that time. This includes the Ontario-wide mandate to check and ensure seated café guests are fully vaccinated. This will not apply to the bookstore or to-go food and drink.
We recognize that this is a contentious issue, so respectfully ask that you all continue to be courteous and understanding of this situation – not just with our staff, but all front line staff and small businesses. We are all just people trying to get through a difficult and frustrating situation.
We are complying for the following reasons:
1. We care deeply about the health and welfare of our staff, our patrons, and our community.
2. This project has consumed the better part of the last two years of our lives, and (so far) roughly three times our projected budget. We’re looking forward to being able to finally open our doors and, like every venue serving food, we’ll require a public health inspection and permit in order to open.
3. We started this project, and didn’t give up on it when the pandemic started driving up our costs and delaying our opening date, because we have heard loud and clear that people wanted there to be more things to do year-round in downtown Chatham, so being able to welcome guests to indoors is the whole point.
Here’s a quick run down of what will apply to us:
- For retail sales, including the bookstore and to-go food and drink, you will not be required to show proof of vaccination.
- For indoor dining and gaming, we must ask you to show us your proof of vaccination as well as a government issued ID before we seat you. Kids under 12 are not required to show proof of vaccination or identification. You can download your vaccination receipt at https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/.
- Guests who have a written exemption supplied by a MD, Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner will also be permitted to dine and play inside the building.
- All guests will still need to wear masks when not seated and maintain social distancing.
Should any of these requirements change before we’re fully open, we’ll let you know. We’ll also have notices on our door, and throughout the facilities.
Thanks for reading!